I have never made anything with pumpkin before, actually I have never even eaten anything with pumpkin before. With all of the fall baking I have seen on the blogs I follow I just had to join in the fun.
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I got to used my homemade vanilla extract!)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 box of button maple cookies (optional)
Frosting recipe to follow- I choose to make a maple cream cheese frosting.
Beat butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time. Blend together buttermilk and vanilla in measuring cup. Alternatively add in dry mix and milk in with the batter. Mix in pumpkin until smooth.
Drop a tiny amount of batter in the bottom of the mini cupcake liners. Place a cookie on top and lightly press down. Spoon about another 1/2 teaspoon or more of the batter on and spread evenly.
You can do the same for regular sized cupcakes, fill cupcake liner 3/4 of the way and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confection sugar
Mix cream cheese and butter together. Add the rest of the ingredients slowly until smooth.